Friday, May 4, 2007

Let's play

"Pleased to meet you....hope you guess my name
But what's troubling you is the nature of my game"

The lyrics are part of the chorus of The Rolling Stones song: "Sympathy for the Devil". I thought that it would be interesting and a little thought provoking to take the literal meaning of those lines and apply them to the "Lord" instead of the Devil. I hope that you will play along. Here goes a short quiz for you to start:
  • The celebration of my birth is December 25
  • I was born to a virgin whom was impregnated by God the Father
  • I was known to be a mediator that was believed to be the "Light" battling against "Darkness"
  • I was considered to be a great teacher and this can be testified to by my 12 followers
  • I frequently performed "miracles"
  • I have been called many things:
    • Savior
    • Messiah
    • The way, the truth and the light
    • the good sheppard
  • It is said that I am the redeemer of the souls of the dead
  • Ceremonies to mark belief in me included:
    • Baptism to remove sins
    • Meal of bread and water consecrated with wine
  • I preached of a categorical system of ethics that included:
    • Abstinence and continence
    • renunciation and self-control
  • I was crucified on a cross and after the third day of death, I arose
  • My resurrection was celebrated every year in the springtime
  • My sacred day was Sunday and my followers even had a "Lord's supper"
  • The Vatican was built on the very grounds used to worship me
Who am I?

Oh wait.....I forgot one teeny-tiny point that probably will nullify your original "guess"....

I lived around 600 B.C.

If you guessed that I am Mithra, you deserve a huge amount of respect for being open-minded enough to have done research into the history of things instead of just being a blind follower of what others say.

3 comments:

QuirkyGirl123 said...

Isn't Mithra simply a faith similar to those individuals who believed in Greek Gods in order to explain the sun, stars, passion, etc? Mithra appears to be the Persian version of their "Sun God", but where are the witnesses to support the claim of his origination? Where is the "evidence" to support this story?

LeftyMcThump said...

Yes he is/was.

And you are stumbling upon the greatest ideal of faith....no evidence is needed to believe something be true.

I could counter with "Where is the evidence to support Jesus"?

If you are just taking the writings of men from that era to be truth (the Bible), then you have to also accept the writings of men before them to be true also therefore validating the existence (or at the very least...the possibility of his existence) of Mithra.

How else do you explain the inexplicable similarities between the two "Faiths"?

From Merriam-Webster:

Faith - b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof

Erik said...

Glad to see this isn't going to be one of those provocative blogs. Out of the gate and runnin'!